April 22, 2012

Ladybugs

Today is Sunday. I ordered ladybugs to have in class and they arrived in the mail yesterday- 300 of them! I looked on Amazon to order them since that is where I ordered the Ladybug set last year that also came with a container for them. For only $2.99 I could order 300 ladybugs. I thought that sounded good, so that's what I did. We have 5 acres of wooded land so I was thinking I could let them go here once we are done at school.
The package said that if you don't plan to let them out right away to put them in the refrigerator. I did that overnight and today I got out 10 small plastic Glad containers to put them in along with some leaves and grass from the yard.
Oh boy! About halfway through, they perked up. They had been very calm coming out of the refrigerator. I had about 5 containers closed and then I had ladybugs climbing on the counter, on my hands and a few even flew off. I think I finally caught them all. I did end up going ahead and letting many of them go in the yard. 300 ladybugs is a lot!
Anyway, yesterday I typed up a book for my class to use this week. We have been studying nonfiction text features so I included a Table of Contents, page numbers, bold words, diagram, labels and a Glossary. I also made 2 student worksheets and cards to make class/group charts. I posted this on Teachers Pay Teachers in case anyone else finds it useful.
Ladybug Book and Activities. I'll post pictures of the activities we do this week.




No comments:

Post a Comment